R.I.P. SOUR GROUNDS.
After 28 years of playing competitive soccer at Sour grounds, Goans in particular and Indians in general who were regularly playing there on every Friday and on other holidays finally had to bid “ADEUS” to Sour Grounds. There are two grounds there, one immediately next to the Mosque – let me call it Ground No. 1 – and the other next to it which I call as ground No. 2. Ground No. 2 is totally gone for some project which is going to come up there soon, one part of it is already fenced. Ground No. 1 is not yet fully fenced but one portion of it including one goal is already within the fenced area making it impossible to play there any more.
We Goans under United Goans Center initiated our competitive soccer there in 1979 and since then with a small break during the invasion of Kuwait our boys were playing there. We in the mornings and expatriate Arabs in the afternoons. I still remember how impressive it was to gather there and play there in front of sea of innumerable spectators mainly Goans comprising males and females, during the initial years. I still remember how elegant and decent crowd was gathering there especially the attractive and charming girls and young ladies. I still remember how these young heroines encouraging from the sidelines their heroes on the field. I still remember how my heroine used to encourage me - saying come on Anthony, come on Anthony. Those were the most memorable days which still come to my mind. I remember how my wife and my the then young son we all three of us used to come there when I was still playing there. Likewise so many families. It all now gone into the history books.
Sour Grounds football of ours has given us so much in life in so many ways. I was one of the beneficiaries of Sour grounds soccer in many ways. Others have benefited in some other ways. Some unknown persons became known and got identity in society because of Sour Grounds soccer. Many boys because of this soccer got jobs and other benefits. Some of the persons who are totally unfit in life for anything other than to earn their daily bread got the benefits of Presidencies of their clubs or office bearers. Because of Sour grounds soccer some girls got opportunities to meet the boys of their choice finally to tie the marital knots. Sour ground became a meeting point for many of us. It also became a fighting point for some and to take their personal revenge against their enemies. As a whole it created more good than bad and I will remember it for the good we derived from there while many may remember Sour grounds for the ill effects its produced there. I feel sorry to write these few lines to say “ADEUS” to Sour Grounds.
At Sour Grounds many of our visiting VIP’s were introduced to the community members and here they got acknowledgement from the people. Churchill Alemao, Herculano Dourado, Dayananda Narvenkar, visiting Tiatrists, visiting Priests like Fr. Freddy, visiting MLA’s and many others became well known figures amongst us in Kuwait only after they were brought to the Sour Grounds during our regular matches, either as Chief Guests or as ordinary visiting guests. Sour grounds became like international arena when Brazilian coach Lopes of Kuwait Team came there along with his entourage and security guards to attend one final as a Chief Guest. Indian Ambassadors and other diplomats also came there as Chief Guests. Also, top local officials of different denominations. This area falls into the heart of the city and as such it is become very accessible to everyone. Since it falls within the Church area, our people after going for the Friday morning Mass used to congregate at Sour Grounds. Visiting Tiatrists got lot of publicity from Sour Grounds and it was a very good venue for the visiting Tiatrists to show their presence there and attract audience for their Tiatros. It was also very good venue for them to sell their Konkani Albums there and make money.
I have no more words to express my grief over the closure of Sour Grounds for our soccer. It is a big loss and loss forever. Hence, I say R.I.P. SOUR GROUNDS.
A. Veronica Fernandes,
Kuwait.
No comments:
Post a Comment