River Princess, the marooned freighter, a 240-meter (787 foot)-long ore carrier belonging to M/s Salgaocar Mining Industries Ltd., has been marooned off the Candolim-Sinquerim coast since June 2000.
Tony Fernandes tonferns@hotmail.com writes:
It seems paradoxical that a vessel with a name 'River Princess' gets so little attention while she still lies there motionless, waiting to be salvaged, after being abandoned off Candolim beach for more than half a decade. So far the government has done nothing serious enough to get it out.
Fervent pleas by locals have fallen on deaf ears. The scale and magnitude of the damage to marine life, and pollution to the beach itself that could occur should this princess eventually fall apart, is unconceivable. Here's an ode dedicated to the woe of a dying princess.
Regarding the subject poem I don't seem to find any picture of the 'River Princess' at the moment although I did take photographs of it in the past. Instead I would like to submit the attached sketch by myself.
Best regards.
Tony Fernandes

Woes of a Dying Princess
-by Tony Fernandes
Abandoned by callous crew,
heartless owner, cruel master;
Helplessly I wander
And upon the sandy ocean floor,
I finally surrender.
An abandoned princess,
Now breathless,
Once the pride of the seas, a legend,
Here I now lie,
Weakened and orphaned.
Familiar faces of visitors
Every year on the beach I see
Happy folks stare at me,
Some with dismay, others with glee,
Tourists! Am I a butt of your jokes?
Are you laughing at me secretly?
Through no fault of my own
I still languish here,
Yes, you there, I'm aware,
Did you not have more hair
When you were around here last year?
Hey you, saw you five years ago I do recall,
Seems you are really having a ball,
Then, you had one in tow,
Now, you are back here with four,
Never mind, but I must say,
Your lifestyle has now
Made you look much older though.
An old man, long ago, I must confess,
Seemed to share my distress,
Strolled everyday along the shore;
Where is he now I wonder, I see him no more.
With strong and sinewy hands,
With his gaze in my direction,
I guess he had for me a great affection.
He wished me luck I could tell.
I'm sure if he had the power
He could have me in tow
With his boat and float me offshore,
Something tells me
He must have once been a seaman
And now with time and age he seemed frail,
Wherever he is, I hope he's well.
Epilogue
Tenders floated, pockets bloated,
Palms greased, work ceased,
Valuables plundered, hopes battered,
Money and time wasted,
Now no one is bothered.
Salvage companies: fleeced and vanished,
Negotiations, deliberations: went unabated,
World's top holiday destination: Duh! I'm impressed!
But that a dying princess cannot be saved: I'm deeply distressed.
Links:
Goa MLA held for taking out march to R-Day parade ground
Abandoned by callous crew,
heartless owner, cruel master;
Helplessly I wander
And upon the sandy ocean floor,
I finally surrender.
An abandoned princess,
Now breathless,
Once the pride of the seas, a legend,
Here I now lie,
Weakened and orphaned.
Familiar faces of visitors
Every year on the beach I see
Happy folks stare at me,
Some with dismay, others with glee,
Tourists! Am I a butt of your jokes?
Are you laughing at me secretly?
Through no fault of my own
I still languish here,
Yes, you there, I'm aware,
Did you not have more hair
When you were around here last year?
Hey you, saw you five years ago I do recall,
Seems you are really having a ball,
Then, you had one in tow,
Now, you are back here with four,
Never mind, but I must say,
Your lifestyle has now
Made you look much older though.
An old man, long ago, I must confess,
Seemed to share my distress,
Strolled everyday along the shore;
Where is he now I wonder, I see him no more.
With strong and sinewy hands,
With his gaze in my direction,
I guess he had for me a great affection.
He wished me luck I could tell.
I'm sure if he had the power
He could have me in tow
With his boat and float me offshore,
Something tells me
He must have once been a seaman
And now with time and age he seemed frail,
Wherever he is, I hope he's well.
Epilogue
Tenders floated, pockets bloated,
Palms greased, work ceased,
Valuables plundered, hopes battered,
Money and time wasted,
Now no one is bothered.
Salvage companies: fleeced and vanished,
Negotiations, deliberations: went unabated,
World's top holiday destination: Duh! I'm impressed!
But that a dying princess cannot be saved: I'm deeply distressed.
Links:
Goa MLA held for taking out march to R-Day parade ground
Posted by: gaspersWorld
No comments:
Post a Comment